photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

August 2, 2011

Embroidered Initial with Fabric Mat Tutorial

I wanted to make something special for my newest grandchild, Hadley, so I decided that I would embroider her initial.  I used thread to match her new curtains.  All went well until it was finished, and I realized that I had not decided what to make with it ~ definitely not like me!  My first idea was a pillow..... and then I found an unused white frame.  The decision was made!


Supplies needed:
   White fabric  (9 1/2" x 8") ~ I used cotton
   Appleton crewel wool embroidery yarn to match your fabric
     border (embroidery floss would also work)
   An 8x10 frame
   Fabric strips: 2 (8"x3") 2 (12 1/2"x3")
   Sewing machine
   Rotary cutter or scissors  
   Water erasable pen
   Double sided tape (optional)

Embroidery section:
   Make your initial design. I used Annabel Script at
     500pt to make my letter "h."
   Once you have printed your design, tape it to a well lit
     window and tape your white fabric on top ~ center
     the letter the best you can. 
   Using an water dissolvable pen, trace the letter.
   I used a stem stitch to embroider the outside lines first;
     then I continue to stitch using the same technique close to
     the each outside row until the entire design was filled.
     A great embroidery tutorial can be found at http://www.embroidery.rocksea.org/stitch/stem-stitch/stem-stitch/

Cutting and sewing:
   Cut down the white fabric with your design to measure
     7 1/2 " x 6"
   Sew the two shorter strips of fabric to the top and bottom of
     your design piece.  (All seams are 1/4")


  Press the seams away from the white fabric.
  Sew the two longer strips to the sides. 


  Again, press away from the white fabric.


Mounting:
  Center your completed piece onto the frame's cardboard insert.


  Tape the top and bottom securely to the back of the cardboard.
 Miter the corners of the sides, and tape securely.



♥  Put it into the frame, and ENJOY! ♥


If you have any questions, feel free to contact me! Pin It

1 comment:

Mimi and Tilly said...

I found you via "Made" today, your blog header designs for Made are gorgeous! So glad to find you. Em x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...