photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

June 10, 2013

Tattered Fabric Flowers with Colored Thread Edging

Recently I saw burlap flowers with a colorful thread running around the edges.  The thread added just a perfect touch, so I gathered some fabric and thread and began making my own.


The process was quite simple!

Cut stripes of fabric 1 1/2" x 44" (this could be adjusted depending on the size of the flower)
Sew a seam 1/2" from one of the long edges and again 1/4" from the same edge.


Using the longest stitch on your sewing machine, sew a gathering seam 1/2" from the opposite edge.  Remember to leave long tails at the beginning and at the end of the seam.  (This could also be done with a long running hand stitch.)


Fold down 1/4" from one of the short ends and press.


Slowly begin pulling the gathering thread.


Pull some of the stitches so that you have a tattered look ~ I did have to trim mine.

Starting with the folded edge,  begin to roll your fabric into the center of your flower.  As you add each layer, it will be a little more relaxed.


When you flower is complete, turn it over and begin to tack the layers to one another.


To make my flowers look a little more finished, I made a felt circle, and attached the flower with fabric glue.



I love the look that the tattered flowers gave to my Giggle and Toots shop's newest pillow listing.


If you try this technique, I would love to see what you make!  ♥




Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...