photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

October 11, 2011

Yarn Letters for My Littles

A bunch of cardboard letters (left over from a kitchen project in our last house) + a few skeins of yarn ($.10 each at yard sale) = yarn letters!!

I have see a few of these pop up on Pinterest from time to time so I thought I would try it out for myself.


First of all, thank goodness my girls have easy initials. The H and L hard lines made them pretty easy to wrap. 

I just tied a simple knot at the back (similar to what I did here) wrapped a section, cut and repeat. Once I was finished these vertical sections I wrapped the longer horizantal sections - the middle part of the H and the bottom of the L. 

Because I used yarn that flowed from one color to another I was careful to wrap tightly and evenly so you would be able to see the transition from color to color.

I didn't bother with the flat top or bottom parts of the letters since you won't see those and these letters had already been previously painted so it wasn't noticable.


Not perfect but I like it!

The above two letters for my daughters were a piece of cake - even if I did develop a bit of carpel tunnel - compared to the G below. 

Curved letters + yarn = lots and lots of trial and error.

This time around I decided to vary the sections with multi-colored and creamy white yarn.  I tried my hardest to get it to "flow" but it was difficult because not matter how tightly I wrapped it the yarn would keep sliding down the curve.  So after too many many, many attempts at getting the whole letter covered in yarn I gave up in favor of thin washi tape in similar colors.

I applied strips of tape where the paint was showing through, cut it neatly and tucked it under the yarn.

Hope little Georgia Grace (my sweet friend Jenny's baby girl)
 loves this - or at least likes it a little.




Pin It

4 comments:

Collected Peace said...

That is a lot of work, looks like you are a wrap star! Also you won one of my frames over at by the book paper, so I need to know where you would like me to send it. You can convo me on Etsy, or via my blog... Congratulations!!

J.Crabbit said...

Sorry, I was logged in with my other account. this is Mitch From J.crabbit who's frame you won. :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I think it would be much harder to wrap curvy letters. Yours turned out nicely, TFS!

Kerry said...

Gorgeous Kendra! I have a bunch of these letters at home and I am going to give this a try! So cute. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...