photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

January 28, 2014

Easy Table Runner

"Cabin Fever" ~ this frigid weather has really curtailed outdoor activity!  I keep looking for projects to do inside the house.  When I happened to see this modern geometric fabric, I thought it would make a great new table runner for my kitchen.

Table runners are a great way to add color, but they can be expensive.  The perfect option is to do it yourself.

My finished project~



Supplies needed:
1 1/2 yards of two fabrics ~ one for the top and one for the lining
Thread
Sewing machine

Initially I was planning to use matching brown fabric for my lining, but I thought it might show through.  As a result, I change to white.


Cutting:
I needed to add 1/2" to both the width and the length.  My table is 70" long, and I wanted a few inches of table showing at each end.  I cut my two fabrics 62 1/2" x 17 1/2"  ~ allowing for 1/4" seams.

Sewing:
I pinned the fabrics right sides together.


Using white thread, I sewed a 1/4" seam around all the edges, leaving about a 3" opening on one of the short ends.


I trimmed the corners and turned the fabric right side out.  Using a chopstick, I pushed out the seams and ironed carefully.  I wanted all of my seams to line up as perfectly as possible.

 

I changed my top thread to brown (but left white in the bobbin).  I top stitched a 1/4 from all the edges (carefully folding in the seam allowance on the section that was left open).


Press again, and  ~ my new table runner! ♥



Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...