photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

September 10, 2012

Halloween Placemats - DIY

I know that it is only the beginning of September, but when I found this adorable Halloween fabric, I just had to find something to do with it.


Can you see the cute purple spiders?
My decision was to make a place mats for each of my grandchildren with an applique that would be special for each of them ~ I'll explain that later (:

I used the same technique that I used for my chalkboard place mats (minus the pocket and the ties).
I picked bright fabric inserts that would coordinate with the stripes~



For the applique template, I used designs from Halloween coloring books. 
I traced the figures onto a transfer web, such as Wonderunder or Heat and Bond.  Since I wanted whimsical letters for the children's names, I used "Heartbreaker" font at 250pt.  Just remember to print it out as an "iron-on transfer;" the letters need to be backwards.


Cut the letters and images, and peel off the backing.


Decide on your arrangement, and using a "wool setting" iron the pieces onto the center insert.  Be sure to allow at least 1 1/2 inch on each side for the back fabric fold.



Sew the appliques using a satin stitch or a zig zag stitch.



Fold, pin, and iron your fabric back into place.



Top stitch 1/4" from the edge.
Place mats for my adorable grandchildren~


Layla's has a purple spider because she is fascinated by the beautiful web she finds on her deck each morning.

Cole's get a guitar playing ghost because he is so talented with his music already.


and Sweet Little Hadley's gets candy corn because she is just so "sweet"


Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...