photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

April 15, 2013

Fabric Covered Trash Can

To add a little color to our bathroom, I decided to cover an existing trash can with fun fabric. 
The fabrics I picked:  Argyle Sketch in Gray and Dumb Dots in Citron.

This was a first time experience for me, and I learned quickly that a straight sided can rather than one that tapered would have created a much better product (and a much easier project).

Here is my finished project ~ not too bad...


What I did:
From the gray fabric I cut a 24 1/2" x 10 1/2" piece (it ended up being a little more than I would need, but I always would rather have too much than too little)
From the citron dotted fabric I cut a 24 1/2 " x 7" piece
From black felt I cut a circle the same circumference as the bottom of the can


I made a 1/2" fold on each of the long sides of the citron fabric, and ironed.

 
Then I folded the entire piece lengthwise and pressed.

Now for the gluing ~ I sprayed glue all over the sides of the can and slowly added the gray fabric.  I tried to keep smoothing the fabric, but since my can tapered at the bottom, it was difficult to get a smooth finish from the top to the bottom.

 

I had to do some trimming along the top.


Again I sprayed the adhesive to the inside top, and slowly attached my citron fabric using the lengthwise fold as my guide.

Finally I added the felt piece to the bottom of the can (good way to cover up any imperfections), and I was finished.




Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...