Then I had an "aha" moment and realized that I could just paint over it...or at least try to paint over it! I mean it couldn't get much worse!! So after a little prep work and a few hours of painting and drying time we now have a brighter window in our kitchen a long with a pretty plant display...I love it!!
I went over the counter with light grit sandpaper a few times to remove any build up and to rough it up a bit so the paint would stick better.
After I vacuumed all the sanding dust up I applied two thin coats of primer to help cover the stain and wood grain.
I applied three thin coats with a foam brush and that was that!!
I got replaced most of the mismatched planters with some of the milk glass I recently found for a more cohesive look .
I love keeping a little water filled vase here now, the girls are always bringing me beautiful "flowers" (grass and weeds usually) when they come in from playing outside and want them displayed immediately.
The blue planter above was a little too blue so I cut a heart out of a piece of white paper and adhered it with a glue stick...easy!