photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

June 20, 2013

Three Simple Garlands

Hi!  I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for all the lovely comments and support about our Living with Kids feature on Design Mom.  I have been a long time reader of Gabrielle's blog and admire her not only as mom but as a trailblazer in this crazy blogging world so it was a dream come true + pinch me moment to see our little house on her blog yesterday!

OK, onto a few projects that I have made over the last month or two not sure you actually call them all "garlands" one is actually more of a paper chain and the other paper on string - but you get the gist.

The first is the calendar bunting (is that a better word?) above the small craft table in the basement playroom.  You might remember that I framed pages from a pretty bird wall calendar in the dining room - so when I saw the calendar below from Rifle Paper Co. I knew I wanted to do something similar.


At first, I thought about framing these as well but decided something more fluid and less formal would work better and be a bit safer (not to mention cheaper) on this wall. So I cut off the calendar part of each page and attached them to white nylon string with binder clips that I covered with black and white washi tape.



 



My little model doesn't look so thrilled - but I LOVE this wall!


The next garland is actually more of a paper chain.  I made this out of the left over map pieces from the airplane art I made over from the leftover airplanes from Layla's Valentine's Day cards - yay me for recycling/reusing/repurposing!!  Making this chain was was simple as cutting the remaining section of the map into strips of similar length and width, making a circle taping it and then repeating this step by threading the next piece through the closed circle.   

Lots of scraps!

The brass chandelier already had a wallpaper "perk up" but I loved how the map colors looked in this room too!



A little playful - a lot pretty!


Lastly the garland, I stumbled upon these vintage stamps while organizing all the craft supplies for my supply shelf in the playroom.  My great uncle collected these and my great aunt (who I mentioned here) gave them to me after he passed away. 


So many stamps to choose from!  Lots leftover for a future project.
 
 The colors and prints were so vibrant and graphic I wanted to put them on display somehow. So I chose a few of my favorites and attached them to a piece of bakers twine with a strip of tape. Now they are hanging in the bookshelf in our front living room right at home among things I have collected over the years and that are most precious to me.

Simple + vintage = me: )
Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...